Friday, April 19, 2013

Integrity, Security, and Inside Out

I'm nearly done with reading the Seven Habits now, and the last few pages I've been reading have been very good. Here are several quotes from Habit 7 (Sharpen the Saw), along with the introductory quote to the final chapter (Inside Out Again). First, on peace of mind:

"I believe that a life of integrity is the most fundamental source of personal worth. I do not agree with the popular success literature that says that self-esteem is primarily a matter of mind set, of attitude -- that you can psych yourself into peace of mind. Peace of mind comes when your life is in harmony with true principles and values and in no other way." (Covey, pp 298)

The second is a great quote because as I've mentioned before I'm working with doTERRA and that's really what got me started on this whole process of the Slight Edge. I read that book, then started looking for other books to read and ended up with Seven Habits. I'm also looking for ways to improve my life, the life of our family, the lives of those around us, etc. and this statement on security rings true for anyone looking to do the same:

"Your economic security does not lie in your job; it lies in your own power to produce -- to think, to learn, to create, to adapt. That's true financial independence. It's not having wealth; it's having the power to produce wealth. It's intrinsic." (Covey, pp 304)

The third quote is actually from President Ezra Taft Benson, so it covers the scriptural side of things nicely but applies to other areas of life as well:

"The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." (Benson, Born of God, 1985)

As a final parting thought, Elder Enrique R. Falabella was one of the talks I listened to (again) today while painting. He mentions his wife's motto, and I hope someday I can truly be like her: "In order to contend, you need two people, and I will never be one of them." (The Home: The School of Life)

No comments:

Post a Comment