Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Synergy and Working Together

My "good book" reading today was from Covey's Seven Habits of Highly Effective People -- a book that I still haven't quite finished, though I'm now on the final two chapters! It's actually a really good book, but I got bogged down with moving and painting in the midst of reading. Now that I'm back on the Slight Edge horse, I'm going to finish Seven Habits before heading back to some doTERRA Book of the Month offerings. I just finished the chapter on Synergy today, and it's about how to work together rather than against each other, more or less. I like this quote at the end:

"When you see only two alternatives -- yours and the "wrong" one -- you can look for a synergistic third alternative. There's almost always a third alternative, and if you work with a Win/Win philosophy and really seek to understand, you usually can find a solution that will be better for everyone concerned." --Stephen R. Covey

Most of us usually deal with people from a Win/Lose paradigm (in order for me to get what I want, you have to give in), or from a Compromise paradigm (neither of us is entirely happy, but we didn't force our way on someone else). Synergy is when you recognize that someone else has a valid view of things and if you can understand them and work together, and if they can understand you and work together, you can accomplish more together than you could alone. 1 + 1 = 4 (or more!)

For my scripture study today, I was listening to some of the General Conference talks that I didn't hear too well or maybe didn't pay close attention to what was being said. One of the talks I ended up listening to this morning was directly related to the above, Elder L. Whitney Clayton's talk, Marriage: Watch and Learn. It's definitely an area where I need to learn to do better -- just ask my wife!

"Humility is the essence of repentance. Humility is selfless, not selfish. It doesn't demand its own way or speak with moral superiority. Instead, humility answers softly and listens kindly for understanding, not vindication. Humility recognizes that no one can change someone else, but with faith, effort, and the help of God, we can undergo our own mighty change of heart."

Mostly what caught my attention was the part about not demanding to get my own way or speaking with moral superiority. I don't usually think of myself as doing either of those, but what I think and how my wife interprets things are not the same. It usually ends up with me apologizing for being a "dumb guy" (more or less). Thankfully, my wife still loves me and stays by me, even when I eat all the leftovers and she has to find something else to eat. Love you honey!

And if you don't follow my other Skeptical Homeopath blog but want to see how the progress is going on my new office, I posted pictures over there today. Go check 'em out! My goal to get the office finished by the end of the week is still on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment