Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Slight Edge Manifesto


While reading the book The Slight Edge, I decided to come up with a list of daily small things that I can do to give me a Slight Edge. The idea is that small amounts, compounded over time, create big changes. I'm working on a separate blog about my experiences with doTERRA essential oils, but this blog will be purely focused on my day-to-day activities. I'll start with a list of things I will do each day, week, month, quarter, and year. In this blog, I will use it as a diary to list what I accomplished each day. It will be my way of taking a look in the mirror each night to reflect on what I've done. So, with that said, here's my (initial) Slight Edge Manifesto of things I'm going to do in order to start moving upwards in life.

Daily
1)    15 minutes scripture study
2)    Morning and evening prayers
3)    15 minutes good book (e.g. Slight Edge)
4)    15 minutes of parenting/relationships/children book
5)    Exercise for 30 minutes or more (walk, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups)
6)    One doTERRA blog post (at least) (Mon-Sat)
7)    Use doTERRA oils for something (e.g. apply oils for Carpal Tunnel, oil pulling, etc.)
8)    doTERRA Leadership and Mentor calls (Mon-Fri)
9)    Talk to two people about doTERRA
10)    15 minutes organizing office area
11)    Solid 8 hours (M-F) working at my job
12)    Early to bed (by 11PM), early to rise (by 7AM)

Weekly
1)    Family Home Evening
2)    Attend church
3)    Check weight on scale
4)    doTERRA weekly call
5)    doTERRA blog week-in-review post
6)    Call home teaching families
7)    Family Council
8)    One hour house cleanup
9)    At least one full review posted (for my regular job)
10)    Call mom and at least two other siblings

Monthly
1)    Home teaching
2)    Fast, fast offerings, and tithing
3)    Date night with Becky (twice per month!)
4)    Pay bills and go over budget
5)    Monthly council
6)    doTERRA Meeting at our house
7)    Month-in-review doTERRA blog post
8)    Pictures of body for fitness
9)    Individual date nights with children
10)    Call dad at least once
11)    Find a small service project to help with

Quarterly
1)    Attend temple at least once
2)    Attend a doTERRA conference
3)    Find a large-scale service project to participate in as a family
4)    Family activity
5)    Find some fitness event (e.g. triathlon, Turkey Trot, bike ride, etc.) to participate in

Yearly
1)    Anniversary celebration
2)    Family reunion/vacation
3)   Go somewhere I've always wanted to visit
4)   Do something I've always wanted to try

Seriously, if you haven't already read this book, I highly recommend it. It's down to earth and helps put all those other self-help books into perspective. What I also love is that there's no "secret" to making this stuff work; it's things we already know at some level, but most of us just don't bother to do them. So join me in reading the book, and then let me know what you think!

My updates from this point forward are going to be a list of things I accomplished each day, as well as any other thoughts for the day. I'll simply update once each evening and we'll go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment