Friday, November 16, 2012

November 16, 2012 (FHE)

Today was another busy day; take my daughter to/from school, breakfast/lunch/dinner, walking/exercising, doTERRA calls, oil pulling, etc. I loaned Making the First Circle Work to a friend, which was the doTERRA book of the month last month. It's a good book about network marketing, and how the best way to lead is by making sure the "first circle" is working properly. The first circle of course is you: you can't expect others to do what you are unwilling to do. I need to get in a better habit of "leading".

Work was another rough day for me; I'm having serious writer's block. I also got a new Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook for testing, which is in many ways superior to the Acer Aspire S7 -- just not as thin and sleek. One major advantage is that it can actually flip the display over so that it's a true tablet; the other big advantage: it's about $200 less than the S7 for otherwise similar specs. But, I still say the S7 is the nicer looking laptop, even if it costs more. Besides playing around with the XPS 12 a bit, I ran a few more tests on the S7 and continued typing out my review. At this point, it's about 80% done; I need to put together all the graphs, which is always a pain for me for some reason, and then just write up a bit more analysis and the conclusion. Spoiler: the S7 is an awesome looking laptop and perhaps the best feeling laptop Acer has ever shipped -- certainly it's one of their best offerings. The price is still higher than I'd like, but even some Apple lovers would be impressed by the profile and looks of the S7.

The real issue with getting work done today was other people calling me for help with computer issues. My mom, who doesn't know much about using a computer beyond basic email and web surfing, managed to get a nasty FBI Moneypak virus that tries to extort $200 from you for removal. It does it's best to lock everything up tight, to where a non-technical user will have to get help. Needless to say, trying to help my mom resolve the problem over the phone was a nightmare. Her laptop is about 90% clean right now, but I'm going to need to do something more than running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to fix the rootkit I think. Ugh.

After dinner, we had our first real Family Home Evening in a couple months. As noted in the "Manifesto", I'm going to make sure we do these every week, as it's really important for building our family unit. I taught the lesson, doing a blend of The Slight Edge tied into Elder Holland's talk from early 2009, The Best Is Yet to Be. After the part towards the end where it says, "Keep your eyes on your dreams, however distant and far away. Live to see the miracles of repentance and forgiveness, of trust and divine love that will transform your life today, tomorrow, and forever", I went into a section where we all discussed some of our dreams (i.e. "big goals") as a family, and we came up with a plan of action for getting there.


Daily Check Up:
1) 15 minutes scripture study: Yes (Mormon chapters 5 and 6 with Becky)
2) Morning and evening prayers: Yes
3) 15 minutes good book: Yes (Slight Edge chapter 9)
4) 15 minutes of parenting/relationships/children book: No, but FHE counts right?
5) Exercise for 30 minutes or more: Yes (2.5 mile walk with wife)
6) One doTERRA blog post: Yes
7) Use doTERRA oils for something: Yes
8) doTERRA Leadership and Mentor calls (Mon-Fri): Yes
9) Talk to two people about doTERRA: No (one person)
10) 15 minutes organizing office area: Not really
11) Solid 8 hours (M-F) working at my job: No (around six hours again -- have to make some time up tomorrow)
12) Early to bed, early to rise: Yes, mostly (11:15PM bedtime)

No comments:

Post a Comment