Wednesday, December 19, 2012

December 19, 2012: Phone Calls

I think today was my official phone call day. First, however, we got a notification from Verizon that we went over our plan minutes, which is a great way to start the day! I ended up using Skype for most of my calls, just so I wouldn't get hit with $0.37/minute overage charges -- what a complete joke! Anyway, I talked to Comcast, the power and gas company, and the trash company to get things set up at the new home. Here's hoping everything goes well and we still close tomorrow! Besides that, packing and a bit of work summed up the day.

For my Book of Mormon reading, today continued with the warring between the Nephites and Lamanites, adding Teancum and Lehi to the mix, and Amalickiah got the spear to the heart treatment from Teancum -- love that story, though I'm not sure it's what the Lord would actually want done. Anyway, that brings in Ammoron, the brother of Amalickiah, who's just as bad. After both sides take some prisoners, I love Moroni's response to Ammoron requesting a prisoner exchange:

Alma 54: 11: "But behold, it supposeth me that I talk to you concerning these things in vain; or it supposeth me that thou art a child of hell; therefore I will close my epistle by telling you that I will not exchange prisoners, save it be on conditions that ye will deliver up a man and his wife and his children, for one prisoner; if this be the case that ye will do it, I will exchange." (Book of Mormon, pp. 345)

Ah, we just can't get away with such language these days, can we? But that's not my real quote for the day. For that, I want to focus on something more inspiring:

Alma 50: 18-19: "And they did prosper exceedingly, and they became exceedingly rich; yea, and they did multiply and wax strong in the land. And thus we see how merciful and just are all the dealings of the Lord, to the fulfilling of all his words unto the children of men." (Book of Mormon, pp. 345)

For Seven Habits, I'm reading the chapter on habit 4: Think Win/Win. The basic idea is simple: in any interaction, if both sides don't come out happy, the result is not optimal. He gives six paradigms for human interaction (Win/Win, Win/Lose, Lose/Win, Lose/Lose, Win, and Win/Win or No Deal), then explains how each functions and why Win/Win (or No Deal) are the best options. But on the Win/Lose paradigm, which is how so much of the world functions, I found this statement enlightening:

‎"Most of life is not a competition. We don't have to live each day competing with our spouse, our children, our coworkers, our neighbors, and our friends. 'Who's winning in your marriage?' is a ridiculous question. If both people aren't winning, both are losing." (Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, Think Win/Win, p. 209)

Daily Check Up:
1) Scripture study: Yes (15 pages/day through the end of the year: Alma 49-54, pp. 330-345)
2) Morning and evening prayers: Yes
3) 15+ minutes good book: Yes (Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, pp. 204-216)
4) 15 minutes of parenting/relationships/children book: No
5) Exercise for 30 minutes or more: No
6) One doTERRA blog post: Yes (Oregano Comparison Revisited)
7) Use doTERRA oils for something: Yes
8) doTERRA Leadership and Mentor calls (Mon-Fri): Yes
9) Talk to two people about doTERRA: No
10) Contact doTERRA front line: Yes
11) 15 minutes organizing office area: Other packing most of day, but yes.
12) Solid 8 hours (M-F) working at my job: No - moving week.
13) Early to bed, early to rise: No (2:00AM to 9:30AM)
14) One AnandTech pipeline or article: No

No comments:

Post a Comment