Sunday, December 2, 2012

December 2, 2012: Things Are Getting Official

Today was fast and testimony meeting, which for those of you that aren't LDS, it means any of the members of the congregation are free to go up and tell about their experiences, thoughts, faith, and so forth. I don't usually go up unless I have some particularly strong reason to do so, but of course today was just such a day, as it marks the last time I'm likely to be in the Olympia 3rd Ward for Fast Sunday. So, I went up to give my testimony of the goodness of God towards me and my family over the past five years, summarized briefly below.

Five years ago, I was in the midst of a very difficult time in my life. (I didn't mention this, but I was separated from my then-wife and moving towards divorce; we had been separated for around three years and basically at the point of "irreconcilable differences".) My mom moved up to help out and spend time with me and my daughter, and that's when we moved into the 3rd Ward. I was amazed at how quickly I found great friends and this became my new home, and the people of the ward were welcoming, generous, and supportive towards me and my family. About a year later, the divorce was finalized and I began dating again. Who could have known how quickly I would find Becky, cultivate a relationship, propose, and then get married? Then less than a year later, we had our first child together, and two years after that our second.

We have definitely faced difficulties during the past five years, but I know that God has had a plan for me and has been directing my paths and blessing me and my family. In just five years, I went from separated with a bankruptcy five years previously to having a new family and being ready to buy our first house. Becky went from being single and wondering if she would ever get married to being a stay at home mother with two boys and a step-daughter. And when we look at our finances since our marriage, I truly feel blessed because somehow it always works out.

I've made lifelong friends in this area, and while we're only moving about six miles away, sometimes six miles may as well be the next state. We'll still be in the same stake and still see our old friends, and I intend to keep in touch with many of my friends, but we're definitely turning a page in our life's history. Five years ago, there's no way I could have predicted where I would be today, but the Lord knew what would be best for me and I am so grateful for his guidance and love. I am happier today than I have ever been in my life. </Testimony>

With our impending move now announced over the pulpit, I guess there's no backing out now! I joked with Becky afterwards and said, "If something happens and we don't get the home for whatever reason, I guess we're just going to have to move to Chehalis and rent some place for $900 a month instead!" I should also note that Becky was released as the first counselor in the Relief Society today, which is good because we're going to be very busy for the next few weeks!

There's another short and funny story from church today that I wanted to relate. The sacrament hymn was #191: Behold the Great Redeemer Die. I direct the music -- not that most people watch, but I'm up there waving my hand as best I know how! Anyway, as sometimes happens, it took a while for the priests to break the bread, so when we were finishing the fourth verse I looked over and saw they could use more time so I raised my right hand and held up five fingers, basically saying, "Sing verse five next!" We finished the fourth verse, I lead in to the next verse, and... nothing. I imagine I had a deer-in-headlights look as I turned towards the organist (our bishop's wife no less) and she has an equally startled expression. I think she mouthed something like, "What!?" I waived my hand again, she didn't play, and then I think we finally synced up and got going on the fifth verse. It was probably only a two or three second snafu, but let me tell you: it felt like an eternity!

After all the confusion, I looked over as we were finishing the fifth verse and the priests were done breaking bread, so I just ended and sat down. Except, as I stop and turn to sit down it dawns on me that we ended our sacrament hymn with this cheery and uplifting thought: "He died, and at the awful sight the sun in shame withdrew its light! Earth trembled, and all nature sighed, in dread response, 'A God has died!'" Hopefully I was the only one who noticed what a depressing conclusion that made (compared to the sixth verse: "He lives -- he lives. We humbly now around these sacred symbols bow and seek, as Saints of latter days, to do his will and live his praise.") So, next time Jarred: think ahead!
As for the future, if you've been reading many of my blog posts, by now you should realize that I do have a vision for the next five years. We'll add another child (maybe two?) to our family. We'll grow our doTERRA business and use the extra income to pay off other debts, pay off our house more quickly, and more importantly help other people live healthier, fuller lives. I'll continue exercising and will eventually ride the full STP (Seattle to Portland), compete in a triathlon, and even run a half-marathon (in less than two hours). I'll also continue reading the scriptures and other good books, becoming a better father, husband, home teacher, employee, and an overall more effective and productive member of society. And we'll take some awesome family vacations -- Hawaii is first up on the list! So that's the plan for the next five years, and I look forward to making it happen while we live in Tumwater.

Reading consisted most of the remaining "Isaiah chapters", which are so full of interesting material but still daunting to understand. Two days, thirty pages, and I'm basically out of Isaiah and sailing into the second 100 pages! Here's my quote for today (no "secular" book this time, as I figured it was Sunday and I could take a break). I believe this one might be scripture mastery again.

2 Nephi 25:23, 26: "For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.... And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." (The Book of Mormon, pp. 99-100)

Daily Check Up:
1) Scripture study: Yes (15 pages per day through the end of the year: 2 Nephi 20 - 2 Nephi 27, pp. 90-106)
2) Morning and evening prayers: Yes
3) 15+ minutes good book: No (Sunday break)
4) 15 minutes of parenting/relationships/children book: No
5) Exercise for 30 minutes or more: No (Sunday break)
6) One doTERRA blog post: Yes (Thanks to my friend for writing most of this for me!)
7) Use doTERRA oils for something: Yes
8) doTERRA Leadership and Mentor calls (Mon-Fri): N/A
9) Talk to two people about doTERRA: Yes (at church and choir practice)
10) 15 minutes organizing office area: N/A
11) Solid 8 hours (M-F) working at my job: N/A
12) Early to bed, early to rise: No (1:30AM to 8:30AM)
13) One AnandTech pipeline or article: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment