Sunday, December 9, 2012

December 9, 2012; I'm Getting Better!

After yesterday's post, I guess it was only fitting that: 1) I skipped going to choir, as when I awoke I sounded like a frog. 2) The special musical number was cancelled. 3) By the time I got to church at 1PM, I sounded okay and could actually sing the tenor part while directing the music. Of course, it was short lived and I feel a bit more froggy again as I prepare to head off to bed.

Other than church (and we left early since Corbin is coughing and thus we wouldn't be sending him to nursery, which basically means we'll be wrestling with him the rest of church), we basically just ate and tidied up around the house a bit, and then Becky and I sat down for a weekly planning session. Our goal is to pack up one room per day this week, so the upstairs should be finished by Saturday. Woohoo!

Reading the Book of Mormon today, I finished off Mosiah and read the first chapter of Alma, so that covers the conversion story of Alma the Younger and the Sons of Mosiah, the setting up of the reign of the judges, and the Sons of Mosiah leaving to the Lamanites (although it doesn't get into their story just yet). I love how Mosiah goes about setting up their change in government as well, and that's where my quote comes from tonight:

Mosiah 29: 26-27: "Now it is not common that the voice of the people desireth anything contrary to that which is right; but it is common for the lesser part of the people to desire that which is not right; therefore this shall ye observe and make it your law—-to do your business by the voice of the people. And if the time comes that the voice of the people doth choose iniquity, then is the time that the judgments of God will come upon you; yea, then is the time he will visit you with great destruction even as he has hitherto visited this land."

Becky and I also did some reading from The Five Love Languages of Children, which we haven't been reading all that well lately. Tonight was chapter 11, "Speaking the Love Languages in Single-Parent Families", which is interesting as Alana falls into that category (though now we're not a single-parent family, which of course changes the dynamic yet again).

Anyway, there was a quote that I really wish some people in our family would have read and listened to the advice years ago. Had our parents been a bit more thoughtful on this matter, I think our relationships (particularly with one parent) would be much better off. In fact, I wish all of our parents -- all parents in general -- would read this book, if only to give them something to think about. I know I'm 39 now and all my siblings are even older, but as Elder Robbins pointed out in the the April 2011 Conference: "When can I check a child off my list as done? We are never done being good parents." Anyway, here's the quote regarding newly-single parents searching for love:

"A word of caution as you make new friends. The single parent at this point is extremely vulnerable to member of the opposite sex who may take advantage in a time of weakness. Because the single parent so desperately needs love, there is grave danger of accepting that love from someone who will take advantage sexually, financially, or emotionally. It is extremely important that the newly single parent be very selective in making new friends. The safest source for love is from long-term friends who know members of the extended family. A single parent who tries to satisfy the need for love in an irresponsible manner can end up with tragedy upon tragedy." (The Five Love Languages of Children, Chapter 11, Speaking the Love Languages in Single-Parent Families, pp. 188)

Daily Check Up:
1) Scripture study: Yes (15 pages per day through the end of the year: Mosiah 26-Alma 1, pp. 196-210)
2) Morning and evening prayers: Yes
3) 15+ minutes good book: No
4) 15 minutes of parenting/relationships/children book: Yes (The Five Love Languages of Children, Chapter 11, pp. 177-189)
5) Exercise for 30 minutes or more: No
6) One doTERRA blog post: Yes (Comparing Essential Oil Brands)
7) Use doTERRA oils for something: Yes
8) doTERRA Leadership and Mentor calls (Mon-Fri): N/A
9) Talk to two people about doTERRA: No
10) 15 minutes organizing office area: No
11) Solid 8 hours (M-F) working at my job: N/A
12) Early to bed, early to rise: No (2:00AM to 9:30AM)
13) One AnandTech pipeline or article: N/A (posted Workstation Buyer's Guide)

No comments:

Post a Comment